Thursday, March 22, 2012


Hello, my name is Malia and I am a student at Westlake High School who will be studying different art works and its relation to the Civil Rights Movement in America and the Anti-Apartheid Movement in South Africa.  While searching for art pieces I liked, I learned there were more photographs than paintings in the Civil Rights Movement period.  Some famous photographers are Bruce Davidson, Bob Adelman, and Doris Derby.   One picture I decided to focus on was the picture below titled “Time of Change” which was taken by Bruce Davidson.  I enjoy this photo because it speaks to me in 3 different ways.  One way is the American Flag in the picture symbolizes their patriotism for their country even though most of their country is against them.  It also speaks to me because the picture shows you don’t need much to fight for what you believe in.  The two young men have on normal clothes, one has white paint on his face and the other is holding the flag.  They don’t have any fancy signs or guns to promote violence.  The final way this picture speaks to me is through their age.  These young men don’t look any older than 17 years olds and they still believe in fighting for their rights.  This shows you are never too young to make a difference.  
 http://img.artknowledgenews.com/files2009dic/Time-of-Change-Bruce-Davidsons-Civil-Right-Photograph.jpg  
The next picture I have posted is of a group of people marching to the South Africa House so they could give a memorial to Prime Minister Strijdom of South Africa. They were Members of the Movement for Colonial Freedom and the Black Sash Movement. This picture is interesting because it shows that not all Caucasian people were supporting the apartheid movement.  Some were against it and protested along the side of African-Americans.  I have plenty more photos in store for you all to see but patience is a virtue
Happiness to All
-Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment